Monday, April 25, 2011

How embarrassing

We went to the doctors office this morning to get that pesky rash checked out on little Elijah. After some screaming in the waiting room (elijah, not me, although after awhile I thought about it), we went back to see the doctor. We stripped elijah down to check out the poor red bum. He swabbed to check for a strep infection (I dont know, he said it happens) but that came back negative.

So long story short elijah got pantsed in the doctors office and he prescribed some steroid hydrocortisone cream to try for a few days. Hopefully it will help it go away, because this dang rash has been so persistent its been at least two weeks and every time Elijah has his diaper off, he immediately starts scratching. And it doesnt help that it is on his face cheeks and as of tonight, maybe I am being a paranoid mommy, but it seems like it is spreading to his eyes.

The doctor also had mentioned that it could be eczema related, a usually mild skin condition that I had on my elbows and knees a bit growing up. Dry, itchy, rough skin. Yuck.
I did get the chance to flip through a pediatric book of skin conditions complete with pictures. There is some pretty heinous stuff out there. As long as we dont have open sores, I can deal and I think Elijah can too.

I will have a better idea of how the cream is working in the morning with the first diaper change of the day.

No comments: